Many congratulations to the following, who have been awarded undergraduate summer studentship funding:
- Tom Bibby & student Hannah Connabeer (University of Southampton): Tapping the unused potential of photosynthesis.
- Eleanor Binner & student Ruishan Liu (University of Nottingham): Microwave-assisted depolymerisation of an algal polysaccharide.
- John Day & student Sarahjane Pugh (Scottish Association for Marine Science): A paradigm shift in algal cultivation: exploring the potential of heterotrophic and mixotrophic cultivation of the holdings of the Culture Collection of Algae and Protozoa (CCAP).
- Attila Molnar & student Iain Ratter (University of Edinburgh): Establishing a transgene-free genome editing protocol for a cell-walled algae Chlamydomonas nivalis.
- Brenda Parker (University College London), Paolo Bombelli (University of Cambridge) & student Peter Bateson (UCL): Algal-BPV educational tool.
- Alison Smith (University of Cambridge) & student Faye Wei Qing Loo (University of Manchester): How does 3’UTR choice affect transgene expression in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii.
- Michele Stanley (SAMS) & student Matthew Gray (University of the Highlands and Islands): Evaluating the potential of marine microalgae for the production of omega 3 enriched phospholipids for use as encapsulation agents and sterols for liposome stabilisation.
- Elinor Thompson & student Modesta Blunskyte (University of Greenwich): Routes for manipulating the carbon concentrating mechanism of cyanobacteria: regulatory proteases.